Red cabbage sauerkraut is loaded with the many nutrients that we need to prevent illness and to keep our bodies healthy into old age.
A few forkfuls of this fermented red cabbage will provide several hundred types of probiotics that aid digestion. I will show you how to make Red Cabbage Sauerkraut in the comforts of your own home, you will not believe how easy and simple it is!
What we’ll need
- Red Cabbages
- Container for our sauerkraut. Any will do, just don’t use Aluminum.
How I make my Sauerkraut
- All you need to do is cut the cabbage into thin slices
- Pack it into a jar, plastic bucket or basin, stainless steel pan, or what-ever vessel that you already have. Don’t use aluminum.
- Add a tablespoon of salt of salt for every five pounds.
- Hammer it down with your fists, or use any vegetable smasher. Get angry and really make the juice come out.
- Mix in the salt and press the mixture down until the juice comes out.
- As a last resort add a small amount of water–just enough water to cover the batch.
Press it down every day. After a few days, the bubbles and delicious smells will begin. Eat whenever your appetite overpowers your mental refraining powers
Know when it is done
The fermenting period takes about 28 days to complete all four stages–but it may be all gone before that. You can always start a new batch if you eat it all too soon.
Where to Ferment the Red Cabbage Sauerkraut
This can remain on the table at room temperature or just set it in the corner. Don’t refrigerate until after it is all done fermenting. It will keep all summer in the refrigerator.
Kraut is Delicious and Economic
Make it at home and costs pennies a day–the cheapest health insurance you can buy.
You can also use white cabbages if you are having problems getting the red ones. Read our post: “Making Delicious Homemade Sauerkraut” on how we ferment our white cabbage sauerkraut.
I am certain that you will like our recipe. Tell us what you think!